The biopic feature film Bolden! is seeking principal actors, extras, and stand-ins to work on the project in New Orleans beginning at the end of January, 2015.
The Bolden! has been a passion for the talented director Dan Pritzker, who first shot principal photography on the film back in 2007. Pritzker is determined to do justice to the subject of the film, and has shown that he will cut no corners telling the story of Buddy Bolden, the man who invented jazz. At the beginning of the 20th century, Buddy Bolden (aka King Bolden) was the hottest, most innovative and popular musician in New Orleans. By age 25 he was the dynamic, sexy, charismatic “First cornet king of New Orleans.” By the time he was 30, he had lost his mind to schizophrenia and was committed to the Louisiana State Insane Asylum at Jackson, where he spent the remainder of his life.
The casting directors for Bolden! are holding an open casting call on Saturday January 17, 2015 in New Orleans. They are seeking the following:
[MUSES] Ages 18-30, African American Women only. Non Augmented, natural bodies, natural black or brown hair, no tattoos or piercings, beautiful and enchanting figures. Will be fully nude OR partially nude in a non-sexual way, a brief description is below. Think Mother Earth, woman as the keeper of all things loved, Ancient Greek and Roman Mythology. Not looking for skinny models, but rather a range of average to below average sized. This is an early 1900’s period film. In the scene, the script description is as follows – “NYMPHS of DIONYSUS step forward, each holding a baby. Bolden stops playing and looks at the naked women, each holding one of his children.” SAG-AFTRA DAY PLAYER CONTRACT. Please bring a full body shot in bikini to the open casting call.
[AFRICAN AMERICAN BABIES] 2-4 months old. MUCH higher pay rate.
[AFRICAN AMERICAN MALES] 18-45. No taller than 6′, natural hair, no fades or bald heads. Size 46 suit or smaller. To play various roles through out the filming process. No large tattoos that can not be covered with short sleeves and no facial piercings. Rate is $112/12hrs.
[AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALES] 18-45. Natural figures and bodies. NO wigs, weaves, extensions, modern hair colors (other then dark brown or black), no false or gel nails or eyelash extensions. No large tattoos no facial piercings. Dress Sizes 2-10, no taller than 5 ft 8 inches. To work in various scenes the end of January. Rate is $112/12hrs.
[GENERAL EXTRAS – ANY ETHNICITY] Males and Females, 18-80, any ethnicity. Needed to work in various scenes throughout shooting.
• Experienced Stand-Ins: with a resume and headshot.
• Specifically seeking young African American men and women that can move well to music.
• All ethnicities encouraged to please come meet us in person, and all body types welcome from tall to small and folks that truly are jazz lovers and those that dress with historical flair and style.
NOTE: ALL TALENT MUST BE A RESIDENT OF LOUISIANA AND LIVE NEAR NEW ORLEANS.
To be considered, please attend the following open casting call:
Anthony Bean Theatre
1333 South Carrollton Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70118
Saturday January 17, 2015
9:00am – 1:00pm
Be prepared to have your photo taken. You can also bring a non-returnable headshot to leave with the casting directors.
All actors and extras must and be legally eligible to work in the state of Louisiana and in the United States. The 2015 Louisiana Actors Resource Guide eBook comes with free quarterly updates and includes the following information and documents for adults, minors, and foreign talent who would like to work as an actor or extra on film and television productions in Louisiana and the United States:
• Louisiana Child Performer Law Information Sheet
• Louisiana Child Performer Trust Act Sheet
• Louisiana Minor Trust Deduction Guidelines
• Louisiana Minor Intention To Employ Form
• Louisiana Employment of Minors Informational Booklet
• Louisiana Film, TV, and Commercials Minor Labor Law Summary
In addition to the following Actors Resources:
• New Orleans Casting Directors List
• Baton Rouge Casting Directors List
• Shreveport Casting Directors List
• Louisiana Actors Unions and Resources
• General Talent Agent Information
• Louisiana Talent Agents List
• Louisiana Acting Classes and Schools List
• Summer Performing Arts Camps
• Headshot Photographers List
• Audition Tips
• How To Make an Audition Video
• Sample Actors Resume
• Sample Beginning Actors Resume
• Sample Cover Letters
• Entertainment Industry Terminology
• Miscellaneous Actors Resources
• USA Child Actor Work Permit Requirements
• USA Immigration Work Permit Information
• USA Non-Immigrant Visa Application
• PDF Users Guides
The 2015 Actors Resource Guide eBooks are available here.
Do NOT send photos and resumes to the production companies, as they will most likely end up being thrown away. They do not cast the films, rather they hire casting directors who sort through the thousands of submissions.
C/O Screen Gems Studios
1223 N. 23rd Street
Wilmington, NC 28405
Gary Carr – Buddy Bolden
Reno Wilson – Louis Armstrong
Michael Rooker – Pat McMurphy
Karimah Westbrook – Alice Bolden
A mythical account of the life of Buddy Bolden, the first Cornet King of New Orleans.