NBC and Peoples Improv Theatre in New York will offer three full-ride scholarships to students with strong performance skills to study the craft of improvisation at The PIT. NBC will sponsor one student, and The PIT will sponsor two students for the entire year-long program, from Level 1 through Level 5. Each level is 8 weeks long and is offered several times per week.
A live “Finalists Showcase” will be scheduled in the fall at The PIT. The three 2009/2010 Diversity Scholars will be selected by both The PIT and NBC executives based on their performances at the end of the showcase.
Scholarship recipients should be located in or around New York City. Recipients will be responsible for their own transportation costs to and from New York City for classes, and are expected to attend each class regularly.
Who Is Eligible?
All performers, particularly talented women and people of color, with a strong desire to study improv.
How To Apply:
Along with your contact information, please submit the following:
1. A 5-minute DVD showing us who you are. Please tell us why you are a good candidate for the program, a description of your diverse background, and who your comedic role models are and why. The DVD should also include a short performance of a sketch, character monologue or comedic bit that you have written. You may use other performers in your DVD if needed. Be creative!
2. A performance resumé (if applicable) or a list of your performance or comedy background.
DVD DATA (please address the following questions in your 5-minute DVD presentation, along with the performance of your written material.)
– Why do you think you are a good candidate for this scholarship?
– What was your favorite performance experience and why?
– Name the performer who most inspires you. Why?
Please MAIL all application materials
(email submissions will NOT be accepted)
to the following address:
Katie Goan, Managing Director
The Peoples Improv Theater (The PIT)
154 W. 29th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10001